Aberystwyth Student Guide – Where can I study?

Aberystwyth

Where can I study?

Aberystwyth University.

Aberystwyth University is the only university in the town and is home to a student population of over 12,000. The university’s campus is landscaped into a hillside and combines an impressive mixture of classical and modern buildings. Aberystwyth University has a strong reputation for academic excellence and performs consistently. In 2012, The Complete University Guide placed the university 49th in the national league tables. The Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) is a world-class research and teaching centre based at Aberystwyth University. The centre is recognised internationally as a centre of excellence for students studying biology, environmental and rural sciences. The Department of Computer Science also has an impressive reputation and was ranked 20th in the UK by the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE). The RAE results rated 70% of the department’s research activity as world leading or internationally excellent. The remaining 30% of the department’s activity was rated as internationally recognised. Aberystwyth University also excels in areas relating to geography and earth sciences, information studies, international politics and law and criminology.

The main campus of Aberystwyth University can be found on Penglais Hill and provides spectacular views. The Penglais Campus is the largest of the university’s campuses and is home to 12 of the 17 departments as well as the majority of the student’s halls of residence. The ‘Old College’ is located on the coast of the Irish Sea and is home to most of the university’s administration departments as well as the Department of Welsh and the Department of Education. The Llanbadarn Campus is situated about a mile from the main campus and is home to the Department of Rural Sciences and the Department of Information Studies.

Related Articles

Aberystwyth Student Guide – An overview

Leave a Comment

Filed under Student City Guides

Comments are closed.